Dear National Directors and State Secretaries:
Many of you have already heard about the Federal Electronic Logging Devices (ELDs) Mandate and Hours of Service (HOS) laws — we want to ensure the awareness and detrimental effects this ruling has on not only our organization, but the industry as a whole.
What is the ELD Mandate?
- In 2012, President Obama introduced a bill entitled “Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century” that was then enacted by Congress. The law included many provisions intended to help the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) in its mission to reduce crashes, injuries and fatalities involving large trucks and buses. A part of this bill included a provision requiring the FMSCA to develop a rule mandating the use of electronic logging devices [source: American Horse Council]
How does it affect us?
- Due to the “furtherance of a commercial enterprise” rigs are now considered commercial motor vehicles (CMV) you will need an ELD, vehicles are defined as CMVs if:
- Vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 lbs.
- If truck / trailer is written off as a business expense
- If you haul someone else’s horse in your trailer and accept money
- If you use your truck/ trailer for business purposes
- If you haul a horse to a competition show with intent to win prize money, scholarship or awards
- Commercial driver’s licenses (CDL) are required to haul horses and livestock, if your truck and trailer has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating over 26,000 lbs. combined
- The ELDs automatically track driver’s driving hours—with the mandate in place, driver can only drive 14 hours in one day including breaks, unloading horses, etc. (ex: driving to a rodeo at 6AM, competing and then driving to the next destination after 8PM will be past the 14 hour/ day limit).
- For more information please read these brochures from the American Horse Council:
- ELD effects on the industry: http://www.horsecouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/ELD-Mandate-Brochure-2017.pdf
- CDL requirements: http://www.horsecouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/CDL-Brochure-Online-Only.pdf
- The U.S Department of Transportation (DOT) granted a 90-day wavier period to push the Dec. 18th, 2017 original implementation date of the ELD ruling to March 18, 2018 for Agricultural Only. This wavier only applies to the ELD ruling, the CLD regulation is currently being enforced.
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has opened a comment period regarding an exemption request for small businesses. This exemption would apply to small businesses that show less than $27.5 million in yearly revenue. This comment period ends on Thursday, February 1st, 2018.
What can we do?
- We encourage all families in each state to call their state representative to express the detrimental impact the ELD mandate has on our industry. Find all state representatives contact information at this website: https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
- Please spread the word by sharing this with your members and their families!
For more Info:
Protect the Harvest plans to be at Mid-Winter Meeting in Jackson Hole on Wednesday 1/24 to educate, advise and discuss further details regarding the Federal ELD Mandate. In the meantime, for more information please visit their site regarding this ruling: http://protecttheharvest.com/2017/11/29/eld-mandate-will-impact-the-horse-industry/
Chanel Schvaneveldt | Administration & Marketing
National High School Rodeo Association
12011 Tejon St., Suite 900 Denver, CO 80234
P: 303-452-0820 x213 | F:303-452-0912
Confidentiality Notice – This electronic communication (including attachments) is intended solely for the person or persons to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you have received this communication in error, (a) you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication (including attachments) is strictly prohibited, (b) please notify the sender that you received it in error and (c) delete this communication (including attachments) from your system. Thank you.
*SEE LIST OF AL/FL REPRESENTATIVES BELOW
|HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES|