2017 Alabama High School National Rodeo Team
Dear National Directors and State Secretaries:
Many of you have already heard about the Federal Electronic Logging Devices (ELDs) Mandate and Hours of Service (HOS) laws — we want to ensure the awareness and detrimental effects this ruling has on not only our organization, but the industry as a whole.
What is the ELD Mandate?
- In 2012, President Obama introduced a bill entitled “Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century” that was then enacted by Congress. The law included many provisions intended to help the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) in its mission to reduce crashes, injuries and fatalities involving large trucks and buses. A part of this bill included a provision requiring the FMSCA to develop a rule mandating the use of electronic logging devices [source: American Horse Council]
How does it affect us?
- Due to the “furtherance of a commercial enterprise” rigs are now considered commercial motor vehicles (CMV) you will need an ELD, vehicles are defined as CMVs if:
- Vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 lbs.
- If truck / trailer is written off as a business expense
- If you haul someone else’s horse in your trailer and accept money
- If you use your truck/ trailer for business purposes
- If you haul a horse to a competition show with intent to win prize money, scholarship or awards
- Commercial driver’s licenses (CDL) are required to haul horses and livestock, if your truck and trailer has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating over 26,000 lbs. combined
- The ELDs automatically track driver’s driving hours—with the mandate in place, driver can only drive 14 hours in one day including breaks, unloading horses, etc. (ex: driving to a rodeo at 6AM, competing and then driving to the next destination after 8PM will be past the 14 hour/ day limit).
- For more information please read these brochures from the American Horse Council:
- ELD effects on the industry: http://www.horsecouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/ELD-Mandate-Brochure-2017.pdf
- CDL requirements: http://www.horsecouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/CDL-Brochure-Online-Only.pdf
- The U.S Department of Transportation (DOT) granted a 90-day wavier period to push the Dec. 18th, 2017 original implementation date of the ELD ruling to March 18, 2018 for Agricultural Only. This wavier only applies to the ELD ruling, the CLD regulation is currently being enforced.
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has opened a comment period regarding an exemption request for small businesses. This exemption would apply to small businesses that show less than $27.5 million in yearly revenue. This comment period ends on Thursday, February 1st, 2018.
What can we do?
- We encourage all families in each state to call their state representative to express the detrimental impact the ELD mandate has on our industry. Find all state representatives contact information at this website: https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
- Please spread the word by sharing this with your members and their families!
For more Info:
Protect the Harvest plans to be at Mid-Winter Meeting in Jackson Hole on Wednesday 1/24 to educate, advise and discuss further details regarding the Federal ELD Mandate. In the meantime, for more information please visit their site regarding this ruling: http://protecttheharvest.com/2017/11/29/eld-mandate-will-impact-the-horse-industry/
Chanel Schvaneveldt | Administration & Marketing
National High School Rodeo Association
12011 Tejon St., Suite 900 Denver, CO 80234
P: 303-452-0820 x213 | F:303-452-0912
Confidentiality Notice – This electronic communication (including attachments) is intended solely for the person or persons to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you have received this communication in error, (a) you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication (including attachments) is strictly prohibited, (b) please notify the sender that you received it in error and (c) delete this communication (including attachments) from your system. Thank you.
*SEE LIST OF AL/FL REPRESENTATIVES BELOW
|HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES|
The 2017-2018 Membership Packet is available on the link below. Our next state rodeo is a Multi-state with Georgia in Andalusia AL on February 2-4. If you would like to join and compete in Andalusia, your packet must be received by January 10th. 2017-2018-AHSRA Membership Packet. Please call me at 850-474-3757 if you have any questions. Mrs. Karen
Sorry for the delay, I was not able to upload to a DVD and mail out.
Below is a link to watch the video and a drop box link to download the video if you would like.
Good luck to all of our Seniors.
Watch on You Tube: https://youtu.be/WC8XamIG66I
A enormous thank you to the Poarch Creek Indians for the Scholarship money that they gave to each and every contestant in the Alabama Junior High School Rodeo Association and the Alabama High School Rodeo Association.
Find out more about the the Poarch Band of Creek Indians at http://pci-nsn.gov/
Thank you to RopeSmart and John McCarthy Thanking them for their generosity and support in helping ahsra raise $835 for Saint Jude’s Children Hospital. Visit Rope Smart at www.RopeSmart.com
We would like to thank the Alabama National Guard for being our newest sponsor of the Alabama High School Rodeo Association.
Visit them online at https://state.nationalguard.com/alabama and like them on facebook https://www.facebook.com/JoinALGuard
The Guard dates back to 1636, when Citizen-Soldiers formed militias to defend community and country. And for 377 years, the Guard has stayed true to its roots. Enlisting in the National Guard means more time at home. Training typically requires one weekend each month, with a two-week training period once each year. Get a degree with money for school, learn job skills that translate to the civilian world, make bonds that last a lifetime and earn pride for life. When you become a Guard Soldier, your family will thank you, your country will thank you and your future will owe you. Contact a recruiter to find more specifics about your opportunities in your Alabama Army National Guard.
A PATH WITH PURPOSE.
You will hurdle obstacles physically and mentally. You will learn skills that translate into civilian jobs and gain experience that can’t be taught in a classroom. You will face challenges and learn to overcome them.
With your well-earned sense of pride and selflessness, people will look to you in the moment of need. You will rebuild the lives of friends and neighbors after a devastating disaster, or travel the globe to bring basic human needs to a third-world village. Your sense of purpose and impact on the world around you will never waver again.
We still have advertising opportunities available for each of our upcoming Rodeos. If you are interested in advertising with the Alabama High School Rodeo Association, please speak to any of our members or contact our Secretary at email@example.com
We want to thank James O’Neal Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram for sponsoring our 2016-2017 Rodeo Season. Visit them online to view their inventor at http://www.onealdodge.com/ but most importantly, visit them for your next vehicle! You won’t regret it.
They are Georgia’s #1 Heavy Truck Dealer for 2013 and 2014 and they are Alabama and Georgia’s #1 Buisiness Link for 2014.